Printer Woes – LoadLibraryEx / jppath

God I hate printers.

I’ve been fighting a Konica with a Fiery for the last week or so.  I think I have it figured out.  My problems started when I was adding some users to the scanning function via the web interface and another user power-cycled the printer.  When I’m doing the administrative work the printer appears off-line.  The user couldn’t print; reboot that sucker.

It was shortly after the printer reboot that we started having issues stapling and secure printing.  The stapling option wasn’t available and secure print just wouldn’t work.  I screwed around for a couple of days – mostly hoping the thing fixed itself.  It didn’t. I called for help; I hate asking for help

The printer experts said to update the driver on the server.  After doing that users were getting a “LoadLibraryEx / jppath” error when viewing properties. “Don’t view the properties!” you might say.  And that’s exactly what I said but people wanted to staple, duplex, print in color. . .Users!  Amirite?  The driver on the workstation wasn’t updating properly.  How do you completely delete a driver from a workstation?

To remove a print driver from a workstation:

In Devices and Printers, delete the printer
Select another printer and on the menu bar click the Print server properties menu item
The Print Server Properties window will open
Click Ports and delete the port the deleted printer was using
Click Drivers, select the driver to delete, and click Remove, select Remove driver and driver package, and click OK
Click Yes in the warning window.

I didn’t know that Print Server Properties screen was there.  Nice stuff, but what if that doesn’t work?  I had a couple computers that wouldn’t allow the drivers to be deleted.  What then?

Stop the Print Spooler
In Regedit look for the print processors (Windows 8.1 below, 7 and XP are in similar, but not exact, locations):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows x64\Print Processors\
Rename those suckers but remember the old names (maybe do something simple like add a .old to the end)
Restart the spooler
Try deleting the driver again (see steps above)
Stop the spooler
Return the print processors to their original names
Restart the spooler

That’s it! Reinstall the driver and start printing.

My users’s problems went away but no one was able to explain to me why replacing the driver on the server was the fix.  Things are working but it’s a bit unsatisfying.  I hate printers.

Tags:

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s