Archive for the ‘Uncategorized’ Category

Mailbox Permission

May 25, 2018

Commands I frequently use when checking and setting mailbox permissions:

Check and set mailbox permissions

Get-MailboxPermission -Identity MailboxOwnerUsername

Add-MailboxPermission -Identity MailboxOwnerUsername -User UserGettingPermission -AccessRights FullAccess

Give Send As permission

Add-RecipientPermission MailboxOwnerUsername -AccessRights SendAs -Trustee UserGettingPermission

Dragon Boats

September 10, 2017


Hood to Coast – 2017

September 2, 2017





We’ve run into a problem with your Office 365 subscription. . .

September 30, 2016

While setting up a new user I got this error when opening Outlook 2016:

“We’ve run into a problem with your Office 365 subscription, and we need your help to fix it.”

The problem:  Bad product key.

The fix:

Open a command prompt as administrator and run:

“c:\program files (86)\Microsoft Office\Office16\cscript ospp.vbs” /dstatus

You’ll get a bunch of output – you’re looking for the last 5 characters of the installed product key.  Find that key and enter this line:

“c:\program files (86)\Microsoft Office\Office16\cscript ospp.vbs” /unpkey:last five of key here

That’s it!

Credit goes to

Find and Delete Email Messages

July 26, 2016

We had some malware sneak through our email security this morning.  Here’s how I deleted those messages.

Connect to the Compliance area of 365:

$UserCredential = Get-Credential

$Session = New-PSSession -ConfigurationName Microsoft.Exchange -ConnectionUri -Credential $UserCredential -Authentication Basic -AllowRedirectio

Import-PSSession $Session

Find the messages and view the results (I was able to search by subject but there are other options):

 New-ComplianceSearch -identity “Remove Phishing Message” -ExchangeLocation all -ContentMatchQuery ‘subject:”TOP URGENT”‘ Start-ComplianceSearch -Name “Remove Phishing Message”

Get-ComplianceSearch -identity “Remove Phishing Message” | fl

Delete the messages:

New-ComplianceSearchAction -SearchName “Remove Phishing Message” -Purge -PurgeType SoftDelete

Sunset Strip

November 16, 2015

Sunset Strip

Printer Woes – LoadLibraryEx / jppath

November 13, 2015

God I hate printers.

I’ve been fighting a Konica with a Fiery for the last week or so.  I think I have it figured out.  My problems started when I was adding some users to the scanning function via the web interface and another user power-cycled the printer.  When I’m doing the administrative work the printer appears off-line.  The user couldn’t print; reboot that sucker.

It was shortly after the printer reboot that we started having issues stapling and secure printing.  The stapling option wasn’t available and secure print just wouldn’t work.  I screwed around for a couple of days – mostly hoping the thing fixed itself.  It didn’t. I called for help; I hate asking for help

The printer experts said to update the driver on the server.  After doing that users were getting a “LoadLibraryEx / jppath” error when viewing properties. “Don’t view the properties!” you might say.  And that’s exactly what I said but people wanted to staple, duplex, print in color. . .Users!  Amirite?  The driver on the workstation wasn’t updating properly.  How do you completely delete a driver from a workstation?

To remove a print driver from a workstation:

In Devices and Printers, delete the printer
Select another printer and on the menu bar click the Print server properties menu item
The Print Server Properties window will open
Click Ports and delete the port the deleted printer was using
Click Drivers, select the driver to delete, and click Remove, select Remove driver and driver package, and click OK
Click Yes in the warning window.

I didn’t know that Print Server Properties screen was there.  Nice stuff, but what if that doesn’t work?  I had a couple computers that wouldn’t allow the drivers to be deleted.  What then?

Stop the Print Spooler
In Regedit look for the print processors (Windows 8.1 below, 7 and XP are in similar, but not exact, locations):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows x64\Print Processors\
Rename those suckers but remember the old names (maybe do something simple like add a .old to the end)
Restart the spooler
Try deleting the driver again (see steps above)
Stop the spooler
Return the print processors to their original names
Restart the spooler

That’s it! Reinstall the driver and start printing.

My users’s problems went away but no one was able to explain to me why replacing the driver on the server was the fix.  Things are working but it’s a bit unsatisfying.  I hate printers.

May 18, 2014

May 18, 2014


Evening run in Boston

April 6, 2014


April 6, 2014